Below you will find information on eligibility, info sessions, and the link to our application hosted on Slideroom. Be sure to read our guidelines and suggestions for how to prepare a competitive application.
- U.S. citizens and permanent residents
- Second-Year students (The Mellon Foundation requires those admitted to the MMUF to participate for two full years.)
- Intent to pursue a research-based degree (PhD) in the arts, humanities, or qualitative social sciences (see below)
- Sophomores from ALL cultural & ethnic backgrounds who intend on getting Ph.D. in a Mellon-designated field are eligible to apply. Those who can demonstrate their commitment to addressing the challenges of social inequality through research and those from underrepresented backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
- MMUF designated fields are: Anthropology, Area/Cultural/Ethnic/Gender Studies, Art History, Classics, Geography and Population Studies, English Language & Literature, Cinema and Media Studies, Musicology, Ethnomusicology and Music Theory, Foreign Languages and Literatures, History, Linguistics, Performance Studies & Theater (theoretical focus), Philosophy, Religion, Sociology.
- Other interdisciplinary areas of study may be eligible if they have one or more eligible fields at their core, but must be approved by the MMUF director, Elise LaRose. (Please note that interdisciplinary graduate programs are not eligible for MMUF graduate benefits.)
2023 Information Sessions
*** To attend the following sessions, please fill out this form the day before the info session you will attend to receive the Zoom link.*** If you do not see a time that fits your schedule needs, write to Elise LaRose at email@example.com to set up a meeting.
- Wednesday January 18 at 12pm CT
- Wednesday February 8 at 12pm CT
- Wednesday February 22 at 5:15pm CT
- Wednesday March 1 at 5:15pm CT
- Wednesday March 8 at 12pm CT
- Concerning the MMUF Summer Research Training Program: If you are a UChicago student admitted to the MMUF, you are automatically admitted to the MMUF Summer Research Training Program (SRTP). You do not need to complete the application for the SRTP, so make sure you are completing the correct application. Completing the SRTP is an expectation for all UChicago students admitted to the MMUF.
- Interest: If you are a UChicago undergraduate interested in applying to be a Mellon Mays Fellow, please email Elise LaRose here.
- View the printable application brochure here.
- Again, please address any questions that you may have about the application to Elise LaRose. You are encouraged to make an appointment by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline & Application
The deadline to apply is April 15th. (The deadline is April 15 every year.)Please ensure you have read all the information on this page before applying below. A PDF version of the application is also available below for viewing and download.apply here