Below you will find information on eligibility, info sessions, and the link to our application hosted on Slideroom. Be sure to read our guidelines and suggestions for how to prepare a competitive application.
- University of Chicago second-year students of the underrepresented backgrounds (listed below) who are interested in pursuing a PhD in one of the MMUF designated fields (see below) should apply to this program.
- Current registered UChicago second years of African, Caribbean, African-American, Latino/a, or Native American backgrounds, as well as students who show a demonstrated commitment to increasing cross-racial and ethnic understanding are eligible to apply. Applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States.
- MMUF designated fields are: Anthropology, Area/Cultural/Ethnic/Gender Studies, Art History, Classics, Geography and Population Studies, English Language & Literature, Cinema and Media Studies, Musicology, Ethnomusicology and Music Theory, Foreign Languages and Literatures, History, Linguistics, Performance Studies & Theater (theoretical focus), Philosophy, Religion, Sociology.
- Other interdisciplinary areas of study may be eligible if they have one or more eligible fields at their core, but must be approved by the MMUF director, Elise LaRose. (Please note that interdisciplinary graduate programs are not eligible for MMUF graduate benefits.)
2021 Information Sessions
*** To attend the following sessions, please fill out this form the day before the info session you will attend to receive the Zoom link.*** If you do not see a time that fits your schedule needs, write to Elise LaRose at email@example.com to set up a meeting and/or sign up here to meet.
- Monday March 1 at 5:30 CT
- Thursday March 11 at 5:30 CT
- Concerning the MMUF Summer Research Training Program: If you are a UChicago student admitted to the MMUF, you are automatically admitted to the MMUF Summer Research Training Program (SRTP). You do not need to complete the application for the SRTP, so make sure you are completing the correct application. Completing the SRTP is an expectation for all UChicago students admitted to the MMUF.
- Interest: If you are a UChicago undergraduate interested in applying to be a Mellon Mays Fellow, please email Elise LaRose here, and indicate your interest here if you would like updates regarding the application process to you, as well as information sessions (see above).
- View the printable application brochure here.
- Again, please address any questions that you may have about the application to Elise LaRose. You are encouraged to make an appointment by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline & Application
The deadline for submitting an application is April 28th. Please ensure you have read all the information on this page before applying below.apply here